Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Administrator to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations Division (ITO) within Computation Directorate, matrixed to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Computer Support Unit (CSU).
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Support all aspects of systems administration for a large heterogeneous server and network environment.
- Perform Linux and/or Windows installations, configurations, upgrades and ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual environments, installation of software releases, patches of the operation system and utilities, third-party products, and open source software.
- Support data and process migration between internal systems, cross platform authentications, and application deployment (e.g., Active Directory and Dell-Quest Authentications Services).
- Implement, support, and maintain multi-platforms, including Splunk, Nagios, Solar Winds and other performance/monitoring technologies and utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of hardware and software and provide guidance to end users for the design of their computing environments and technical areas.
- Implement moderately complex designs produced in collaboration with data scientists and infrastructure architects.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects, including technical computer security issues, policies, and procedures at the network and host level.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Independently apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to improve monitoring infrastructures services and automate various complex tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience interacting with Computer security personnel to provide input to computer security plans, ensuring computer security compliance, monitoring systems for general health, security incidents, and other events, and developing security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Experience performing Windows and/or Linux system administration in a complex server environment, including installation, performance tuning, networking, security, troubleshooting, monitoring, backup/archiving and hardware replacement.
- Demonstrated analytical skills necessary to analyze moderately complex systems and networks.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, PKI authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl, CSH/BASH, or Powershell.
- Professional computer or network certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP, RedHat, CCNA) and experience with security targets/configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience providing effective customer support in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Demonstrated advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in the above technical languages, concepts, or constructs.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment to present, explain and provide advice to management.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.